As the UK government recognised standards setting body for Business Enterprise and Business Support, SFEDI researches, writes and reviews the National Occupational Standards for those either starting and running a small business or supporting those who do.
To access any of our standards please use the links to the left.
Which standards SFEDI develops
- Pre- and Understanding Enterprise (for those who want to find out more about running or working in a small business)
- Business Enterprise (for those starting, running or managing a business)
- Business Support (for those working with small businesses)
- Business Link Broker (for Business Link staff working with small businesses)
- Business Link Gateway (for point of contact Business Link staff)
- Business Information (for point of contact staff)
What are National Occupational Standards?
National Occupational Standards (NOS) describe what an individual needs to do, know and understand in order to carry out a particular job role or function.
How they are developed
- They are researched and tested with thousands of small businesses and those who work with them.
- It takes about two years to develop one set of standards.
- Before they are launched, they are tested by practitioners in the field to make sure they are correct.
What is special about SFEDI National Occupational Standards
- They identify the key things that make businesses successful.
- They have the Crystalmark for Plain English so are easy to understand.
- They are flexible, allowing the user to identify the areas that are key to them.
- They integrate businesses processes.
- They link to business standards and models.
How they can be used
- As checklists of what needs to be done and understood.
- As the basis for, or as part of, learning programmes.
- As the basis for, or as part of, other learning products.
- As the basis for, or as part of, qualifications.
- As benchmarking tools to ensure consistency of practice.
- For quality assurance programmes to ensure quality of service.